"... If we wait for the governments, it'll be too little, too late. If we act as individuals, it'll be too little. But if we act as communities, it might just be enough, just in time." Rob Hopkins, Transition movement founder, in "What is a Transition Initiative?"
Over the years TTK has supported many groups, projects, events and activities with publicity, advice, the use of our bank account to hold their funds, and PL insurance cover. All our activities depend on volunteers to make them happen, and some have thrived long-term and continue to thrive, while others were short-term projects or have lapsed for various reasons. TTK is always open to, and supportive of, new or revived projects that will help our local community to transition to a more sustainable local lfe-style. Contact us via the website with your suggestions and offers, or come along to one of our monthly meetings to find out more or pitch an idea.
You can calculate your person carbon footprint at https://www.carbonindependent.org/ - this will help you decide how best to reduce it.
Transition activities are grouped under several main themes, some overlapping, all to do with living more sustainably and resiliently. We hope that you will find something below that is interesting and/or useful and/or that you’d like to participate in.
- Energy, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels: TTK Energy Group projects, past and present, and some useful energy tips
- Food, growing, harvesting and cooking: TTK initiatives, including Growing Tips for nature-friendly gardening.
- Skill-sharing: TTK events, practical projects and workshops on a range of skills, including: gardening; cooking, Repair Cafe Kingston
- Reducing waste: TTK activities past and present, concerned with transitioning to a less wasteful way of life, including Repair Cafe Kingston
- The local economy, business and enterprise: TTK Business Action Group events for green or aspiring green businesses
- Inner Transition: developing personal resilience in a difficult world
- Campaigning on climate-related issues - what TTK has done and what you can do...
- Community involvement - what TTK has done to engage and raise awareness in the local community and why...